Kansas City’s own Tamara Day—host of HGTV’s popular Bargain Mansions—is a self-proclaimed shopaholic, and she’s bringing her keen eye and retail-savvy to Town Center in Leawood on Saturday, December 7th for a holiday-centric meet-and-greet at LoveSac. “It’s going to be a ton of fun,” she says with a laugh. “I get to shop and pick my favorite items and show folks how I would use them for Christmas decorating.”
Day knows a thing or two—or ten—about design. “I have a natural inkling for design. I grew up on a farm where there’s a do-it-yourself mentality,” she says. After years of getting her hands dirty flipping houses alongside her husband, she landed her hosting gig merely by being in the right place at the right time—and with the right skillset. Now the busy wife and mother of four is set to open her new retail store, Growing Days Home, which also opens December 7th in Prairie Village.
We caught up with the famous house flipper to find out five things you might now know about the DIY TV star.
5. “I can wiggle my ears! When I was a little kid, my family was together for some occasion and it came up that my great uncle could wiggle his ears and so of course everyone tried, but I was actually able to! That and I can wiggle my second toe independently of all the others. Those are my circus tricks!”
4. “My favorite temperature is 90 degrees with no breeze or humidity. On set everyone knows that between filming you can find me by whatever source of heat I can find—generally wrapped up in a blanket or giant coat. I have an entire highlight on my Instagram dedicated to photos others have taken of me staying warm between takes.”
3. “I love to read, but I can’t put a book down—even if it means staying up all night to finish it to the detriment of whatever I need to do the next day. I just have to finish. That’s my motto with anything really: Once I start it, I have to finish it. And that applies even if I don’t like the book. I need to know how it ends!”
2. “I can’t watch scary movies because I have nightmares. My kids think this is super funny but literally I will scream in my sleep and cry real tears. It freaks out everyone in the house. My mom and sister are the same way so I guess it runs in the family!”
1. “A chocolate chip cookie has to have five chocolate chips. It is, in my opinion, the perfect amount of chocolate chips. It equates to about one per bite which is just the amount of chocolate I want. My sister makes them perfect because she is the best!”