From a movie theater to a concert venue, workout lawn, and more, Barkley Square at Leawood’s Park Place is constantly transforming into a spot where families and friends can make memories this summer.
The season started out strong at Park Place with the Park Place Farmers’ Market filling the streets of the shopping district every Saturday morning, and Guitar & Games in full swing every Friday night on the lawn—but that’s not all Park Place has in store for the summer.
Starting on July 9, Movies in the Square will premiere every Saturday evening in July and September at dusk (8ish). on a big screen under the stars in Barkley Square. From retro classics to action-packed blockbusters, the eight FREE movies included in this season’s lineup include:
- July 9 – Field of Dreams (1989, PG)
- July 16 – Wayne’s World (1992, PG-13)
- July 23 – Sixteen Candles (1983, PG)
- July 30 – Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, PG-13)
- September 3 – Mean Girls (2004, PG-13)
- September 10 – Top Gun (1986, PG)
- September 17 – Ghostbusters (1984, PG)
- September 24 – Hocus Pocus (1993, PG)
Bring your blankets and lawn chairs to watch your favorite films on a state-of-the-art large outdoor screen.
In August, enjoy the second half of the Summer Concert Series on Saturday nights starting at 7 p.m. in Barkley Square. There’s something for everyone with a spectacular lineup of some of the best bands in the area:
- August 6: The Zeros (80s new wave)
- August 13: The Suburbans (Dance hits from the 70s to today)
- August 20: Elton Dan and Gypsies, Doves and Dreams (Elton John and Stevie Nicks tribute bands)
- August 27: Big Time Grain Co. (Top country hits)
Both Movies in the Square and the Summer Concert Series are free events, but seating is first-come-first-served, so come early to get a great spot and bring a comfy lawn chair just in case!
Dine and Imbibe During Your Favorite Events
The great thing about enjoying movies and concerts on Barkley Square? You have the food and drink options of Park Place to enjoy before or during the show.
Looking for takeout so you can enjoy a meal during the show? Stop by BurgerFi and choose between burgers, chicken, hot dogs, and sides to share on the lawn with family and friends while you enjoy the evening’s entertainment.
Need a sweet treat during intermission? Head to Ice Cream Bae where you’ll find one-of-a-kind ice cream creations, such as Not Your Average S’more, Trix is the Captain Now, Park Place & Boardwalk—made with gold flakes—and other signature flavors.
Want to enjoy an adult beverage during the show? Bamboo Penny’s is shaking up some amazing cocktails you can enjoy on Barkley Square. From the Lemongrass Basil Margarita, to the Cucumber Gimlet and Spicy Pineapple Mule- there’s a drink on the menu for every adult’s palette.
Get in Some Self Care
Between Bare Med Spa, Everyday Beaut, Le Reve Nail Salon, MassageLuXe, The Gents Place, Timothy Weber: A Hair Salon, and The Bar Method, Park Place is already filled with places you can go for wellness excursions. Starting in August, Wellness on the Lawn will take place every weekday morning starting at 8 a.m. with free outdoor workouts and wellness offerings.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays at Wellness on the Lawn, you’ll get to meet the newest addition to Park Place, Upgrade Group Training. The new fitness studio is opening a location in Park Place this September, offering a variety of workout classes designed to ensure you have enough time to rest and recover before repeating sets.
“Park Place is the perfect fit for Upgrade and anyone else for that matter,” says Chris Adams, owner of Upgrade Group Fitness. “Every time I step into the area, I get an immediate sense of energy. This studio is exactly what our functional studio was waiting for and now we can’t wait to share it with this friendly, fit and family-oriented community!”
Look Out for Special Events
While the Park Place Farmers’ Market is in full swing all summer long, there are a few special days at the market you’ll want to put on your calendar:
- Children’s Day, July 30: At this market, there will be special booths and events from Teddy Bear Mobile, School of Rock BV, and the KC Mavericks; live music by Joe Martin and His Twelve Strings; cookie decorating with Life is Sweet KC; and Rock City Toddler Music on the Lawn with Back to Rock KC.
- National Farmers’ Market Week, August 6: During this time of year, produce is at its ripest, freshest, and fullest. Celebrate the farmers market with Happy Belly Food Truck, Back to Rock KC, live music with Joe Martin and His Twelve Strings, and free children’s crafts.
- Fall Fest, September 10: Fall Fest is the Park Place Farmers’ Market event of the season, and you won’t want to miss it. Enjoy food trucks, live music, and shop for the fall season with local vendors.
Wondering what else might be happening at Park Place? Keep up with the latest news and events at https://parkplaceleawood.com/events/.