Besides being an acclaimed, internationally known actress, Dee Wallace is hometown royalty. The KCK native has starred in over 200 films—including the 1982 mega-blockbuster E.T.—but she’s also a fan of coming back to her old stomping grounds. (Fun fact: Wallace earned her teaching credentials from The University of Kansas and has worked as a teacher in the public school system, as well as her own dance and acting studios.)
Wallace will be on hand to meet fans this weekend at the annual Crypticon – Kansas City which touts itself as the “ultimate pop culture, sci-fi and horror experience.” Want to kibitz with Wallace about Cujo? Dying to have her sign your original Critters movie poster? Wallace is game. We got a chance to catch-up with the author/speaker/child advocate/renaissance woman recently to find out five things you might not know about the beloved actress. With so many interviews under her belt, we feel like this is truly privileged information! Thanks, Dee!
5) “I’m an awesome dancer! I can close a place down. I actually wanted to be a professional dancer before I became an actress. I was a soloist with a couple of companies in the Midwest, but I was never gonna go all the way—and that’s where I wanted to be!”
4) “I’m a clairaudient channel. Yep, no kidding. I hear messages and can give people a lot of insight. And yes, just like in the movies I do, I can ‘talk to dead people.’”
3) “I hate cats. Don’t kill me. Okay, I love all animals, but dogs have my heart now and forever. I get so homesick when I travel my assistant sends me (pooch) pics and videos so I can get through. My poor guy knows who gets the first hugs when I walk through that door.”
2) “I’m a chocoholic. If you want to make me happy, give me chocolate! Once—on a plane—I gave a guy $10 for his chocolate bar because the plane was stuck on the tarmac for over an hour.”
1) “I have a peace tattoo on my right cheek. And I don’t mean my face! I swore I’d never get one, but my daughter talked all the women in our family into getting one when we were together for a family event. I wasn’t gonna be the only one to say no!”