- This event has passed.
Graveyard 5K Run & Walk
October 29 @ 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM CDT
Your favorite not-so-spooky run is back! Join us in celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Elmwood Cemetery at the Graveyard 5k!
The 5th Annual Graveyard 5K on Saturday, October 29, this year. Let’s help raise some money for the maintenance of the cemetery! This race takes place entirely within Elmwood Cemetery, where many influential Kansas Citians call their final resting place.
Stick around after the run for beer tastings from local breweries, bites from Jimmy John’s, energy drinks from Beyond Energy, cemetery tours and more!
Some fun facts about Elmwood Cemetery include:
– Keep an eye out for the headstone of Americus McKim, the owner of KC’s first professional baseball team, The Kansas City Unions. Without him, we wouldn’t be able to cheer on the Royals today!
– Simeon Brooks Armour, the founding member of Armour and Company Meat Packing, is buried in the Armour Family plot in Elmwood. Armour Boulevard is named after Simeon and his family.
– The Elmwood Cemetery is the second oldest cemetery in Kansas City.
– It’s also the final resting place of 766 soldiers who fought in the Civil War on both sides.
Do you have what it takes to walk, or run with the dead?
8:00 a.m. – Check-in begins
8:45 a.m. – All runners must be checked in
9:00 a.m. – Race begins
Following the race, enjoy some light bites from Jimmy John’s, re-energize with Beyond Energy, drink samples from local breweries, Coors Light, and say hey to our friends from Renewal by Andersen, T-Mobile, and more!
Registration Date and Race Fees:
– Thru July 3t – $35 (Children 12 and younger are $25)
– August 1 – September 30 – $40(Children 12 and younger are $30)
– October 1 – October 30 – $45 (Children 12 and younger are $35)
– Extra Shirts – $18
– Walking Tour – $5
– Elmwood Cemetery Book – $30
Packet pickup will be on Friday, October 28 from 4:00-6:30 p.m. at TBD LOCATION