Starting July 24, Black Restaurant Week LLC kicks off a week of spotlighting local Black-owned restaurants here in the metro.
The organization, which helps initiate multi-city culinary experiences, is hosting its first Midwest Black Restaurant Week. Kansas City is just one of the cities on the tour. It includes St. Louis and Indianapolis, among others. Currently, over two dozen area eateries are on board to participate. Now through August 2, prix fixe brunch, lunch, and dinner menus start at $10 at participating businesses. “Supporting the entire culinary industry, from farm to table, is necessary for providing more opportunities for the whole community to thrive,” Black Restaurant Week co-founder Warren Luckett says.
Also on tap? The Black Plate Awards, where communities can vote for their favorite participating restaurants, and a BRW Bingo Game, which encourages hungry patrons to visit multiple restaurants for an opportunity to score bingo and win a prize.
Looking to dine out this weekend? Kansas City-area participating restaurants include:
- Big Momma’s Bakery KC, 4707 Bannister Road, Kansas City
- Blue Nile Cafe, 20 E. Fifth St., Kansas City
- Brown Sugar, 3708 State Avenue, Kansas City
- District Fish & Pasta, 1664 E. 63rd St., Kansas City
- Elevate Bar & Grill, 7543 State Ave., Kansas City, Kan.
- Fannie’s West African Cuisine, 4105 Troost Ave., Kansas City
- Fat Jack’s Chicken & Fish, 5912 Blue Parkway, Kansas City
- Gigi’s Vegan Café, 1103 Westport Road, Kansas City
- Gates BBQ (multiple locations)
- Happy Apple Café, 5536 Troost Avenue, Kansas City
- Jones Bar-B-Q, 6706 Kaw Drive, Kansas City
- Just Ask: Cafe 75 Carryout, 7502 Troost Ave., Kansas City
- Kansas City Cupcake Co. Café, 719 N. 6th St., Kansas City
- KC Daiquiri Shop, 1116 Grand Blvd., Kansas City
- Kwan’s Katering, Kansas City
- Mattie’s Vegan Eats, 201 N. Forest Ave., Independence
- Mesob, 3601 Broadway, Kansas City
- Niecie’s Restaurant, 6441 Troost Ave., Kansas City
- Ruby Jean’s Juicery (multiple locations)
- Smaxx Restaurant, 1827 Vine St., Kansas City
- Soiree Steak & Oyster House, 1512 E. 18th St., Kansas City
- The Breakfast & Lunch Lovers’ Restaurant, 6204 Raytown Trafficway, Raytown
- Urban Café, 5500 Troost Avenue, Kansas City
- Vee’s Barbecue, 3530 Park Avenue East, Kansas City
- Wingz & More (multiple locations)
- Yogurtini, 8375 N. Booth Ave., Kansas City
Founded in 2016, Black Restaurant Week aims to celebrate the “flavors of African American, African and Caribbean cuisine.”